Disclaimer: The article might contain spoilers about Sword Art Online: Alicization.
Studio: A-1 Production
Director: Manabu Ono
Original Creator: Reki Kawahara
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Game, Romance
Set in the year 2026, our protagonist Kazuto Kirigaya is forced into a full-dive into an epic, fantasy-like virtual world. There, he has very little recollection on what actually happened and begins searching for clues. He stumbles upon an enormous, dark tree known as the Gigas Cedar where he encounters a boy named Eugeo. Strangely enough, for a person who is an NPC of the world, the boy shows the same array of emotions as any human being.
As Kirito bonds with Eugeo and at the same time trying to find a way to log out of this world, he remembers a certain memory deep down within him. A memory of him running through the forest with Eugeo as a child and another blond girl, a memory that he should not have in the first place. Her name is Alice. And it is a name that must never be forgotten.
What you need to know about Sword Art Online: Alicization
1.The anime is the adaptation of the fourth main arc for the Sword Art Online Light Novel series, spanning from volume 9 – 20.
2. The movie Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale happens right before the events of Alicization.
3. Kirito’s character does not start out sword blazing just as the previous arcs as he has to nurture and build up his talents and abilities.
4. Asuna and friends appearances within the season will be limited as they will only be able to access the virtual world of Underworld.
Trivia about Sword Art Online: Alicization
1. Alicization is the longest story arc in the light novel series.
2. The anime has a new Director named Manabu Ono who replaced the previous helm, Tomohiko Itou.
3. Sword Art Online and Accel World share some similarities in terms of technology as they are within the same universe.
4. As of 2017, the Sword Art Online light novel series has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide with a majority of the sales happening in Japan with 13 million copies alone.
5. Kirito x Eugeo and not Kirito x Asuna. (wink wink)
This is probably A-1 Pictures most ambitious Sword Art Online project to date even with the the release of the original movie in Ordinal Scale. They are really pouring a lot of resources into making this the best series there is. With Alicization being the best work that Reki Kawahara has released, it’s only fair that the anime adaptation should be justice to it.
The 1-hour special episode 1 sets the tone of how serious the series will be and the beginning of the series has been nearly true to the light novel. With that said, the pacing of the story has been really great, the story deposition has been accurate to the source material, and the new characters within the series have been such a treat. We will have to see how Kirito handles this new environment and learn more about the Taboo Index and also Alice.
With the direction of how the series have been going, fans of the series will be in for a treat as this will show how Kirito needs to work really hard to get things done. This is definitely a show that no one should miss.